Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Crime Story Reporting


(2) Campus police are reticent to talk, but they released a press release last night stating that three guns and two pipe bombs were found in a student's dorm room, along with a scrapbook of newspaper clippings describing in detail how the Virginia Tech shootings were carried out. They suspect the student had similiar plans and say they are relieved to have discovered the plot before anyone got hurt. The Towerlight editor has assigned you to cover the story.


First of all, I'd try to get all of the information that I can, especially the bulleted items from Chapter 13. So far, there are no victims so that's out. I'd need to get the status of the investigation (suspects, charges, etc). If someone has been charged, I'd get all of their basic information, and if a single person has not been identified, I'd need to get any details on that person. For this specific case, I really want to know what dorm complex this student lives in, his/her major, hometown, and any significant history.

The most important thing to get (in my opinion) are the details of the crime. Everyone loves drama!

In this scenario, the police aren't talking very much, and Towson isn't looking for bad PR. Getting them to cough up the good stuff is going to be a challenge, but they aren't the only people I can go to. The Housing and Residence Life Staff (RA's, CC Workers, etc) are sure to know details as well.

I think some cool media components could include an interactive video on what exactly a pipe bomb is, because I don't even know and I'm the one who is covering the story. I also think that it would be good to publish some safety tips for college students.


No comments: