Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Interview...ugh

Trying to get an interview with someone from Teach for America Baltimore has been a little bit of  pain. Interviews for my last story were so much easier to do. I knew all of the people personally, however, which I'm sure had a little something to do with it. 

I've been trying to get in touch with Omari Todd, who is the Executive Director of the Baltimore region. I read his bio and he seems like such a nice guy. He actually started out as a teacher and taught for four years. He didn't go to undergrad in Baltimore, but he got his master's at Johns Hopkins (clearly he's smart too).

As much as I'd like to talk to Omari personally, I'm not sure that it's going to happen very soon. I've only been shooting for him, but all I've done is left voicemails and send e-mails. I feel like this is kind of strange because when I clicked "contact" on the website, his name was the only one to show up. Shouldn't he be calling me back?!?!?

I've decided that if I don't hear anything from him tomorrow, I'm going to just ask for anyone who has some free time to speak with me if they can. I want to start making connections asap!

I'm kind of nervous for my interview. I hope I can go to meet with these people face to face instead of doing a phone interview. I can't stand talking on the phone about important things. I really like to see people's facial expressions and have their full attention.

I'm also nervous because I've never really done a serious interview with someone I didn't know at all. For my last story, my biggest stretch was the financial guy from Wachovia, and I've met him a bunch of times with my mom and he helped me set up a new savings account. 

Either way, I want to start getting these interviews done so I can pick an angle for my feature story and get this ball rolling. :)

No comments: