Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Proofreading

Honestly, I really enjoy proofreading. I think it’s SO important and such a crucial part of writing. Just one word can change the entire meaning and interpretation of a statement. For example, I’ve learned that when stating my opinion, I shouldn’t use too many words and be firm in what I say. Newswriting is similar in that meaning gets lost in wordiness.

Grammar mistakes are also a problem. I can’t take anything seriously that has a grammar error like “your” or “you’re” being mixed up.

The best way for me to proofread is write something and read it the next day. At that point, I’ve forgotten most of what I’ve written and can read my work objectively. I also like to read things out loud. I’ve made so many mistakes by just scanning my papers because I only spot really obvious problems.

No comments: